Length: 5 – 7 Pages of Content (Point Value = 100 pts.) *Due Date Specified on Weekly Course Outline.
*Due Date Specified on Weekly Course Outline.
The APA Tip Sheet is available in Week Four
1. Task. Your task in this assignment is to locate and examine an organizational leader who manages diversity effectively (similar to the leaders highlighted in the leadership exercise found in Part III of the textbook; for example, Kenneth Chenault—Amex; Louis Gerstner—IBM; and Andrea Jung—Avon).
2. Concepts. Use approximately three terms/concepts from the textbook’s “Introduction” or either of the two opening essays, “Diversity in the Workplace: A Theoretical and Pedagogical Perspective” and/or “Diversity in the Workplace: A Legal Perspective” to analyze the specific leader that you have chosen. In this sense, the textbook material becomes a lens through which you examine the leadership style, philosophy, and successes/challenges of these leaders in relation to their quest to manage diversity within their organizations.
Concepts you may incorporate into your paper include, but are not limited to, the following:
• access-and-legitimacy paradigm • integration-and-learning paradigm
• Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) • non-dominant groups
• Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) • organizational dimensions of diversity
• Affirmative Action • Pregnancy Discrimination Act
• business case for diversity • prejudice
• discrimination • primary dimensions of diversity
• discrimination-and-fairness paradigm • quid pro quo sexual harassment
• diversity • reasonable accommodation
• diversity management • resistance paradigm
• diversity paradox • secondary dimensions of diversity
• dominant group • sexual harassment
• dynamism • stereotyping
• the eight protected classes • systems
• essentialism • Title VII
• hostile work environment • valuing diversity
• Vietnam Veterans Readjustment
3. Questions to Guide Research. As you write your paper, discuss/examine the following questions (feel free to incorporate any other applicable information):
•Background. What is the professional background of this leader? Is there any personal information or experience that led to his or her passion for managing diversity?
•Status of Organization. What role did diversity play before the leader became a part of the organization?
•Philosophy. What is the leader’s philosophy on diversity management?
•Strategies. What strategies did the leader implement to transform the way in which the organization managed diversity?
•Goals. What were the diversity-related goals implemented by the leader? What are his or her future goals related to diversity?
•Current Status. What is the current status of the organization in terms of diversity in
particular and overall success in general?
4. Critical claim. You should make a main point, or critical claim, in relation to diversity and leadership in your paper. The critical claim should reflect your voice—your unique stance/contribution to the discussion of leadership and diversity.
5. Sources. When looking for an article that interests you, there are many magazines and journals from which to choose: DiversityInc. Magazine, HR Executive, Fortune, Forbes, Newsweek, Time, Harvard Business Review, etc. Furthermore, you may be able to find an interesting article in a local or national newspaper. Remember the helpful resource of diversity Web sites: vault.com, workindex.com, diversityinc.com, etc. . Wikipedia is NOT an acceptable, academically credible source. Papers that include Wikipedia as a reference source will be graded as a “0”.
6. Referencing. Be sure to define the concepts that you incorporate from the textbook by clearly and accurately quoting or paraphrasing. When you do any type of referencing (quoting or paraphrasing borrowed material) from any outside sources, you must use APA 6th Edition style manual.
7. Length: Minimum of five complete pages OF CONTENT no more than seven. Title page and Reference page are not included in content. Since you are not doing original research, you do not need to include an Abstract.
8. APA Tip Sheet: APA 6th Edition formatting is required. Review the corresponding Tip Sheet or your APA Manual to ensure correct formatting and citation of information.
9. Grading: 100 pts. Total: Content = 50 pts. College Level Writing = 30 pts. APA 6th Edition Formatting = 20 pts.