You will be presenting on the U.S. healthcare system. Imagine you are a community health director educating a group of new healthcare professionals on the U.S. healthcare system. You have been asked to create a PowerPoint presentation.
Introduction: explain what you are about to present.
Part I: The U.S. Healthcare System – Define the U.S. healthcare system by addressing the items below:
• Describe the history (e.g., teacher’s union in Dallas, Texas; the American Medical Association; and the First Marine Hospital).
• Identify the major developments that transformed the system into what it is today (include financial, legal, ethical, regulatory, and social [i.e., consumer demand]). You may want to revisit the health care timelines available in your course textbook.
• Differentiate the stakeholders and their roles (i.e., health care professionals, clients, political figures, schools – and what they have to do within the system).
Part II: The Cost of the U.S. Healthcare System
• Describe the costs and how they are set (i.e., reimbursement methods, managed care organizations, Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance).
• Explain how technology has affected costs (e.g., EHR, medical research, equipment improvements like MRI, mammography, etc.) and delivery of quality care (e.g., personalized medicine, mobile services like prescribing, disease registries, etc.).
Part III: The United States versus Other Health Care Systems—an International Perspective
• Contrast the U.S. health care system vs. Canada’s health care system
Part IV: Reforms and Improvements
• Describe any potential reforms and improvements that are currently being discussed at the local, state, or the federal level. Your work must be based upon scholarly research, not media commentary.
o Examples could include the following:
State of Nevada modifications
Increased consumer controls
Note: The PPACA is not an appropriate reform or improvement to be described here because it is already law and not a future improvement.
Conclusion: Explain what you believe the U.S. healthcare system will look like in the next 10 years.
Must be 15 to 20 slides (excluding cover and reference slides) and formatted according to APA
• Be presented using a video along with your Microsoft PowerPoint slide presentation. You have a choice of one of the following methods for adding a video:
It is recommended that PowerPoint slides contain no more than five bullet points and should not contain more than 5 – 7 words each. The information that explains each bullet point is conveyed via speaker notes
Speaker notes are the typed notes that appear below the slide that complement the presentation slides. Whereas the slides will have short bulleted items, the speaker notes will be more detailed. They are essentially what the presenter would say during the presentation to explain each of the bulleted points on the slide. Therefore, it is important that the speaker notes are concise and detailed when explaining the bullet points.
o It is required that the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation include a video
• Be visually engaging. For assistance with designing the visuals for your presentation, view the video Don McMillan: Life after death by PowerPoint or the PowerPoint Best Practices tool.
There will be a 2nd part or addition to this Power Point that will be considered the Final Term Paper and will be an additional 10 slides. Making the final project 20 slides long and will have a due date of September 19th.